Soul Brother Stef, also known as Stefan Cvetkovic has been busy laying down the tunes on Tuesday nights at Phog Lounge, recording a new album with his band The Walkervilles and thumbing through vinyl at the record store, always on the prowl for something new. He shares with us his latest musical obsession, what he’s been up to and his reaction to the growing popularity of Soul Brother Stef at Phog Lounge.
- “Most of the time I just use Maschine. It's an "MPC" style beat machine made by Native Instruments. The possibilities are endless on it. When I'm at home in the studio, I've got access to a lot more like my turntable (which I do most of my sampling on into Maschine), my drums, etc. “
- “I started collecting vinyl about 7 or 8 years ago. That became an addiction and I haven't stopped diggin' for new music since. My collection spreads across so many different genres of music. My influences change as I grow as a musician. Lately I've been getting inspired by this young artist from the U.K, Tom Misch. Others are 9th Wonder, MF Doom, Curtis Mayfield... been spinning a lot of them the past while.”
- “I've been playing at Phog Lounge for a long time now as SBS, but it was something about the timing of those holiday shows that just took it to the next level. It's been an interesting shift in the turnouts. Really dope to see people continuously show up to these Tuesday night gigs. It's a TUESDAY. People work in the morning - but the people gotta dance, and I love em' for that! The support has been really incredible. Big ups to Tom and Murad at Phog Lounge and Joshua Cassidy on my light shows!”
- “I've been keeping busy with the newest Walkervilles record. It's been a long time coming to get to this point, but it finally feels right and we are so damn excited to share this music with ya'll. It's been a fun project because we've tracked it all ourselves. No release date as of yet but you know, we'll keep ya's posted!!”
- “My goal right now is to start branching off into a few new markets. I'd love start playing Detroit more (gotta get that visa sorted!). Getting a residency at some place would be proper! Someone, hook a brother up!”